Book: TEN WAYS TO BE ADORED WHEN LANDING A LORD
Author: SARAH MACLEAN
Genre: HISTORICAL ROMANCE
Published: October 2010, AVON (HARPERCOLLINS)
I purchased this book for my own reading enjoyment, to review without compensation or a prior endorsement agreement.
From Good Reads:
Since being named “London’s Lord to Land” by a popular ladies’ magazine, Nicholas St. John has been relentlessly pursued by every matrimony-minded female in the ton. So when an opportunity to escape fashionable society presents itself, he eagerly jumps—only to land in the path of the most determined, damnably delicious woman he’s ever met!
The daughter of a titled wastrel, Lady Isabel Townsend has too many secrets and too little money. Though she is used to taking care of herself quite handily, her father’s recent passing has left Isabel at sea and in need of outside help to protect her young brother’s birthright. The sinfully handsome, eminently eligible Lord Nicholas could be the very salvation she seeks.
I can't say enough about the writing of Sarah MacLean. I had never read any of her work before a few months ago, but it seemed to me that there were more than a few bloggers raving about her first book in the LOVE BY NUMBERS series, NINE RULES TO BREAK WHEN ROMANCING A RAKE. I finally decided to check out what the praise was all about, and was blown away by that book. In fact, it sparked a historical romance buying spree for me.
Though, I loved Ralston in NINE RULES, I adored Nick in TEN WAYS. The two brothers -twins- captured my heart from the very beginning, and MacLean captured my attention with her witty banter, atristocratic characters, great pacing and interesting plot.
But, what really made me fall in love with TEN WAYS TO BE ADORED WHEN LANDING A LORD (and the series, in general) was the amazing voice, and personalities of her leading ladies. In this novel, Lady Isabel has had to endure a horribly unsuitable gambling father, know as The Wastrearl. That's wastrel earl, for the uninitiated. He has gambled away all of their money, and even herself, in a few instances. Yet, Isabel manages to keep a household for her brother to inherit. More importantly, she builds a sanctuary for other women. And, she is not afraid to do what she must to keep it all together.
McLean knows how to mix a great historical setting, fantastic dialog, and wonderfully endearing characters to come up with a novel that would snag the attention of anyone who appreciates an intelligent read. One that just happens to be shelved in the romance section.
4.5/5 for plot
5/5 for characters
4.5/5 for language
My Rating: 14/15 (4.5 stars)
Must Read, if you enjoyed:
Trial by Desire by Courtney Milan
When Harry Met Molly by Kieran Kramer
Soulless by Gail Carriger
Links for the author:
RSS My Feed
- ► 2012 (146)
- ► 2011 (195)
- Out With A Bang: Final Tally
- Happy New Year!
- Out With A Bang: Update
- Book Review: Mostly Good Girls by Leila Sales
- Book Review: Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a ...
- Advance Review: Subway Girl by P.J. Converse
- Out With A Bang Read-A-Thon Book List
- Riddle Me This and Entice Winners!
- Best Books of 2010: Top Ten
- Best Books of 2010: Adult
- Best Books of 2010: YA Part Two
- Best Books of 2010: YA Part One
- Urban Fantasy/ Paranormal Romance Holiday Giveaway...
- Best Books of 2010: Series
- A Flash of Fiction: Day Two (DECEMBER)
- Riddle Me This: Post #7
- A Flash of Fiction: Day One (DECEMBER)
- Advance Review: Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
- Advance Review: All Just Glass by Amelia Atwater-R...
- Riddle Me This: Post #6
- Riddle Me This Holiday Giveaway: Post #5
- Riddle Me This Holiday Giveaway: Post #4
- Reading Challenge 2011: Audio Book Challenge
- Reading Challenge 2011: 100+ Challenge
- Reading Challenge 2011: Debut Author Challenge
- Reading Challenge 2011: E-Book Challenge
- Reading Challenge 2011: Book Blogger Recommendatio...
- Reading Challenge 2011: Men In Uniform
- Riddle Me this Holiday Giveaway: Post #3
- Teaser Tuesday is Back!
- Out With A Bang Read-A-Thon
- Entice Blog Tour: Carrie Jones Writes Good Pixie
- 2010's Not Over Yet! And Riddle Me This Clues
- Riddle Me This Holiday Giveaway
- Book Review: The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney
- ▼ December (35)
30 December, 2010
Content Copyright By Lillie (AliseOnLife). Powered by Blogger.
- talking about books (193)
- blog tour (134)
- book tour (110)
- book review (107)
- YA (102)
- e-book (87)
- highly recommended (79)
- Read My Mind Giveaways (78)
- ARC review (61)
- fantasy (56)
- must read (50)
- contemporary (47)
- contest (44)
- Guest Posts (40)
- contest winners (39)
- paranormal romance (37)
- recommended (32)
- romance (31)
- paranormal (30)
- Read-a-thon (23)
- ARC tour (22)
- giveaway (22)
- urban fantasy (20)
- contemporary romance (19)
- advance review (18)
- suspense (18)
- A Flash of Fiction (16)
- erotic romance (16)
- Author Interview (15)
- steampunk (13)
- CONFIDENTIAL (10)
- RAK (10)
- mystery (9)
- novella (9)
- JUST VISITING (8)
- historical fiction (7)
- historical romance (7)
- Best Books of 2010 (6)
- Bestseller For A Day (6)
- science fiction (4)
- historical fantasy (3)