Book: YOU KILLED WESLEY PAYNE
Author: SEAN BEAUDOIN
Genre: CONTEMPORARY YA/MYSTERY
Published: February 2011, LITTLE, BROWN BOOKS FOR YOUNG READERS
Source: Publicist, no compensation given for honest review
From Good Reads:
He's come to do a job.
A job that involves a body.
A body wrapped in duct tape found hanging from the goal posts at the end of the football field.
Dalton Rev transfers to the mean hallways of Salt River High to take on the toughest case of his life. The question isn't whether Dalton's going to get paid. He always gets paid. Or whether he's gonna get the girl. He always (sometimes) gets the girl. The real question is whether Dalton Rev can outwit crooked cops and killer cliques in time to solve the mystery of "The Body" before it solves him.
The first few pages of YOU KILLED WESLEY PAYNE is a key for all the cliques that exist in this novel. Usually it's the type of thing that I kinda skim over. I like to go pretty much blind into a book, and I very rarely read anything that gives an "explanation" of the world that I am about to jump into. But, something caught my eye, and seriously, by the time I had finished, I was cringing and laughing and remembering how high school was just like THAT. Except our cliques didn't have clever or obvious names, and it was all girls. Which can be even more brutal than mixed sex. BELIEVE ME.
YOU KILLED WESLEY PAYNE is a fairly fast-paced book that engaged me, all because of Dalton Rev, the main character. This kid is slick and mouthy, while at the same time the person everyone loves to hate. He barges into Salt River High to solve the mystery of The Body (Wesley Payne, if you haven't guessed), and despite his most wanted status he takes his shots and keeps coming back.
This is a book that has inside jokes, slang, and clever double-entendres, but never left me feeling confused or overwhelmed. This book was smart. It was intelligent, and didn't read as "dumbing" down. Dalton Rev's gotta keep up with his -stuff- and so does the reader. It was also funny, shocking, slick, enjoyable, quick-witted and it should appeal to the boy's boys, the smart girls, the young adults, the reluctant readers, and the looking-for-something-fresh book lovers. Read it. Now.
4.5/5 for plot
5/5 for characters
4/5 for language
My Rating:13.5/15 (4.5 stars)
Must Read, if you liked:
Tony Hill and Carol Jordan (series) by Val McDermid
StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce
Links for the author and books:
* Barnes and Noble
* Book Depository
Available formats: Print (Hardcover), E-Book
RSS My Feed
- ► 2012 (146)
- Book Review: Lily of the Nile by Stephanie Dray
- Book Review: Death Cloud (Young Sherlock Holmes) b...
- Best Seller For A Day: Carolyn McCray's 30 Pieces ...
- Advance Review: Enclave (Razorland #1) by Ann Agui...
- Book Review: Beyond The Gate by Susan Gourley
- CONFIDENTIAL: Author Lindsay Buroker Under the Spo...
- Travelling Book Box Arrival!
- Book Review: Where I Belong by Gwendolyn Heasley
- Book Review: Encrypted by Lindsay Buroker
- JUST VISITING: Guest Post from Gwen Heasley (Where...
- CONFIDENTIAL: Interview with Mad Love's Suzanne Se...
- Book Review: (Blog Tour) Mad Love by Suzanne Selfo...
- Advance Review: Wilder's Mate by Moira Rogers
- Advance Review: Tempt Me by Shiloh Walker
- CONFIDENTIAL: Author Q&A with Mary Hooper
- Book Review: (Blog Tour) Fallen Grace by Mary Hoop...
- What is Bestseller For A Day?
- Book Review: Play Fling by Amber Scott (Bestseller...
- Love the Cover, Want the Book
- Book Review: No Rest For The Wicca by Toni LoTempi...
- Book Review: You Killed Wesley Payne by Sean Beaud...
- Book Review: Seers of Light by Jennifer DeLucy
- A Flash Of Fiction Day Two (February): Falke's Pea...
- A Flash of Fiction Day One (February): Sweet As Si...
- CONFIDENTIAL: Author Interview with Sean Beaudoin ...
- ▼ February (25)
09 February, 2011
Content Copyright By Lillie (AliseOnLife). Powered by Blogger.
- talking about books (179)
- blog tour (123)
- book review (106)
- book tour (100)
- YA (94)
- e-book (87)
- Read My Mind Giveaways (78)
- highly recommended (77)
- ARC review (59)
- fantasy (56)
- must read (49)
- contemporary (41)
- contest (40)
- contest winners (39)
- Guest Posts (37)
- paranormal romance (37)
- recommended (32)
- romance (28)
- paranormal (26)
- Read-a-thon (23)
- ARC tour (22)
- giveaway (22)
- urban fantasy (20)
- advance review (18)
- A Flash of Fiction (16)
- contemporary romance (16)
- erotic romance (16)
- suspense (16)
- Author Interview (15)
- steampunk (12)
- CONFIDENTIAL (10)
- RAK (10)
- mystery (9)
- novella (9)
- JUST VISITING (8)
- historical fiction (7)
- historical romance (7)
- Best Books of 2010 (6)
- Bestseller For A Day (6)
- science fiction (4)
- historical fantasy (3)