15 May, 2013

Library Book Review: Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella

Blurb:
Lottie just knows that her boyfriend is going to propose during lunch at one of London's fanciest restaurants. But when his big question involves a trip abroad, not a trip down the aisle, she's completely crushed. So when Ben, an old flame, calls her out of the blue and reminds Lottie of their pact to get married if they were both still single at thirty, she jumps at the chance. No formal dates;just a quick march to the altar and a honeymoon on Ikonos, the sun-drenched Greek island where they first met years ago.

Their family and friends are horrified. Fliss, Lottie's older sister, knows that Lottie can be impulsive;but surely this is her worst decision yet. And Ben's colleague Lorcan fears that this hasty marriage will ruin his friend's career. To keep Lottie and Ben from making a terrible mistake, Fliss concocts an elaborate scheme to sabotage their wedding night. As she and Lorcan jet off to Ikonos in pursuit, Lottie and Ben are in for a honeymoon to remember, for better . . . or worse.



I'm actually kind of confused about how I want to rate this. On the one hand, this book was very much in Kinsella's usual style. Miscommunications and hi-jinks ensue throughout the novel. However, I did not really like any of the primary characters.

Lottie and Fliss are basically sabateurs of, not only their own lives, but others around them. In a bad representation of Sense and Sensibility-esque sisters, Fliss is reserved, and frankly quite bitter, about relationships. Meanwhile, Lottie is too flighty, too emotional, and too self-absorbed.

The male characters aren't any more likeable or relatable. What I did like was the dry British humor, the laugh out loud "situations" orchestrated by Nico and Georgios (honeymoon hotel employees), and the snappy pace of the novel. So, though I first thought, 3.5 stars, I also felt that what I disliked overshadowed enough to give it some weight. Therefore, I reconsidered my final rating.

My Rating: 
Worth Trying
2.75 star
C+



I obtained this book from my local library. No compensation from anyone was given for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails