Book: STEAM AND SORCERY (GASLIGHT CHRONICLES)
Author: CINDY SPENCER PAPE
Published: March 2011, CARINA PRESS
Series: GASLIGHT CHRONICLES #1
Photographs and Phantoms (Gaslight Chronicles #1.5)
Source: Publisher via NetGalley, no other compensation given for an honest review
Sir Merrick Hadrian hunts monsters, both human and supernatural. A Knight of the Order of the Round Table, his use of magick and the technologies of steam power have made him both respected and feared. But his considerable skills are useless in the face of his greatest challenge, guardianship of five unusual children. At a loss, Merrick enlists the aid of a governess.
Miss Caroline Bristol is reluctant to work for a bachelor but she needs a position, and these former street children touch her heart. While she tends to break any mechanical device she touches, it never occurs to her that she might be something more than human...
I Liked -- Plot: Steampunk is growing into a popular sub-genre, and I have wholeheartedly embraced it. While I like the machinery and the airships and the danger that can go along with steampunk stories, Pape's novel had more of the historical aspect included in the plot, and I always enjoy reading about Regency/Victorian England, so it was just the right thing to capture my attention. There was a great balance between the heat between the hero and heroine and the steampunk element. As an equal opportunity science-fiction, fantasy and romance lover, all of the right spots for me, were hit with STEAM AND SORCERY.
I Liked -- Character: There wasn't any one character that I liked more than the rest. Pape truly rounded out both the male and female main characters, so that neither one seemed flat or superfluous or even only there to spotlight the other. What I really liked though, was the fact that the children that Caroline Bristol was supposed to be in charge of, did not fade into the background. In other words, they were characters and important to the story other than putting her in the sphere of Hadrian in order to create a romance between the two.
My Rating: 14/15 (4.5 stars) Must Read
Find the author at:
Website | Blog | Twitter | GoodReads | Facebook
Purchase book at:
Barnes and Noble | Carina Press | Audible | Amazon
Available formats: NookBook, Epub, Kindle, Audiobook
RSS My Feed
- ► 2012 (146)
- How Big is My RAK? (September/October Wishlist)
- Unruly Magic E-Book Winner!
- Review Duo: Jennifer Estep's Spider's Revenge and ...
- Book Review: Dark Souls by Paula Morris
- COVER REVEAL! Touch by Jus Accardo
- Press Release: Unruly Magic by Camilla Chafer
- Read Your Own Book A-Thon Finish Line
- Read Your Own Books-A-Thon Update
- A Flash Of Fiction 3 (September) Tangled Past by L...
- A Flash Of Fiction 2 (September) Goddess With A Bl...
- Read Your Own Books-A-Thon (September 15-18)
- Ruling Passions by Alyxandra Harvey
- A Flash Of Fiction 1 (September) Steam and Sorcery...
- Fall ARC Fest Giveaway Winners!
- Book Review: Turn It Up by Inez Kelley
- Welcoming the Fall Giveaway ARC Fest
- RAK: August Update/September Wishlist
- ▼ September (17)
13 September, 2011
Content Copyright By Lillie (AliseOnLife). Powered by Blogger.
- talking about books (189)
- blog tour (128)
- book review (106)
- book tour (104)
- YA (97)
- e-book (87)
- Read My Mind Giveaways (78)
- highly recommended (78)
- ARC review (61)
- fantasy (56)
- must read (50)
- contest (43)
- contemporary (42)
- contest winners (39)
- Guest Posts (37)
- paranormal romance (37)
- recommended (32)
- romance (28)
- paranormal (26)
- Read-a-thon (23)
- ARC tour (22)
- giveaway (22)
- urban fantasy (20)
- advance review (18)
- contemporary romance (17)
- A Flash of Fiction (16)
- erotic romance (16)
- suspense (16)
- Author Interview (15)
- steampunk (12)
- CONFIDENTIAL (10)
- RAK (10)
- mystery (9)
- novella (9)
- JUST VISITING (8)
- historical fiction (7)
- historical romance (7)
- Best Books of 2010 (6)
- Bestseller For A Day (6)
- science fiction (4)
- historical fantasy (3)