Book: THE SELECTION
Author: KIERA CASS
Genre: YA FANTASY/DYSTOPIAN
Published: April 2012, HARPER TEEN
Series: The Selection #1 (upcoming series)
Source: Around The World ARC Tours, no other compensation given for an honest review
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
I'll start off by saying that I am not a big fan of ___ meets ___ book pitches, and I had heard that THE SELECTION was THE HUNGER GAMES meets The Bachelor. I hate The Bachelor. Did this deter me? The fact is that, whatever the book was pitched as, I had read the blurb and was intrigued. It sounded like more than a fight to the finish with the winner gaining a husband. Other controversy and a few trusted people saying it wasn't great aside, I really wanted to read THE SELECTION.
There was one major thing that didn't work for me, and I've got to get it out before I burst. I DESPISE the way the book ended. So what if this is just the beginning of a story? I still expect some kind of payoff after making it through more than 250 pages. Leave me in suspense about who Prince Maxon takes to wife? Fine. But, this book did not end. It paused. And that's one of my pet peeves about YA series (particularly trilogies). In fact, it's more likely to make me NOT wait with bated breath 10-12 months until the next book comes out, UNLESS I really super adored it. That's my little rant done.
Truthfully, I liked THE SELECTION. I think that Cass has a way with creating a world where everyone has to fit into an extremely rigid caste system that offers no upward mobiity and has a majority population that is at or below poverty level, where parents do without food to feed their children. AND YET, if there is a prince in the royal house, one girl of his approximate age might be lifted out of her caste and become royalty. It is like THE HUNGER GAMES, in that hope is the only thing that keeps the population from a complete revolution.
In the end, THE SELECTION kept my interest and explored some of the issues that should be brought to light in a good YA dystopian. Despite my dislike of how the novel (didn't) end, the journey there was interesting.
3.5/5 for plot
3.5/5 for characters
3.5/5 for language
My Rating: 10.5/15 (3 stars) Recommend
Find the author at:
Website | Journal | Twitter | GoodReads
RSS My Feed
- COVER REVEAL: Redheads Are Soulless by Heather M. ...
- Dewey's #Readathon: Hour 24 and Finish Line
- Dewey's #Readathon: Hours 21-23 (Mini-Challenge 1)...
- Dewey's #Readathon: Hours 17-20
- Dewey's #Readathon: Hours 10-14 (Mini-Challenge 1)...
- Dewey's #ReadAThon: Hours 5-8 (Mini-Challenge 2)
- Dewey's #Readathon: Hours 1-3 (Mini-Challenge 1)
- Dewey's 24 Hour Read-A-Thon
- ARC Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass
- ARC Review: Masque Of The Red Death by Bethany Gri...
- Austism Awareness Hop 2012 Winner
- Spotlight: The Vampire Shrink by Lynda Hilburn (Gu...
- Book Review: Somebody To Love by Kristan Higgins
- SupaGurl Tours: Nancy Straight Guest Post & MEETIN...
- Autism Awareness Blog Hop 2012
- Laura Kaye's WEST OF WANT Preview & Prizes Event
- COVER REVEAL: Greta And The Goblin King by Chloe J...
- Stalking The Others by @Jess_Haines Giveaway on Go...
- Wrap Up: #Bloggiesta Finish Line
- #Bloggiesta Mini-Challenge #1: Back Up Your Blog
- ▼ April (20)
- ► 2011 (195)
19 April, 2012
Content Copyright By Lillie (AliseOnLife). Powered by Blogger.
- talking about books (189)
- blog tour (128)
- book review (106)
- book tour (104)
- YA (97)
- e-book (87)
- Read My Mind Giveaways (78)
- highly recommended (78)
- ARC review (61)
- fantasy (56)
- must read (50)
- contest (43)
- contemporary (42)
- contest winners (39)
- Guest Posts (37)
- paranormal romance (37)
- recommended (32)
- romance (28)
- paranormal (26)
- Read-a-thon (23)
- ARC tour (22)
- giveaway (22)
- urban fantasy (20)
- advance review (18)
- contemporary romance (17)
- A Flash of Fiction (16)
- erotic romance (16)
- suspense (16)
- Author Interview (15)
- steampunk (12)
- CONFIDENTIAL (10)
- RAK (10)
- mystery (9)
- novella (9)
- JUST VISITING (8)
- historical fiction (7)
- historical romance (7)
- Best Books of 2010 (6)
- Bestseller For A Day (6)
- science fiction (4)
- historical fantasy (3)