21 September, 2010

Book Review: Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus

Book: SHADOW HILLS
Author: ANASTASIA HOPCUS
Genre: YA MYSTERY/ SUSPENSE



I received this book for review through Star Book Tours


Review
Bad dreams have haunted Phe Archer since her sister's death, and she feels compelled to find the school her sister spoke about before the "accident". Once she arrives at Devenish Prep School, Phe finds even more mystery, and no new answers. An epedemic swept through the school and town two centuries ago, and now some of those people are different.

The mysterious guy that Phe meets, Zach, may be one of those people. But, he may also be one of the few people that could help her... and protect her. Phe can't stop herself from digging deeper into the history of Shadow Hills, Massachusetts and Devenish. Even if her quest might put her life in danger.

I had been anticipating SHADOW HILLS for some months now, and was so excited to get the chance to read it. I admit, when I first read of Phe's quest, I thought, really? She's just going to up sticks to a strange school because of an entry in her sister's diary? But, I found that I liked that Phe had that kind of loyalty and drive to need to find out what her sister had been after, as well as trying to interpret the dreams that Phe herself had been experiencing.

I did feel that I didn't have a chance to connect as well with any of the characters outside of Phe and Zach. Because of this I really wanted their connection and budding romance to have more of a starring role. While the romance between Phe and Zach was a bit of a non-starter, in my eyes, I understand that there is more to come in their story, so perhaps there is more to come in their story. Overall, I think that Anastasia Hopcus wrote an engaging mystery in SHADOW HILLS. I'd definitely like more of the BVs and their history!

3/5 for plot
3/5 for characters
4/5 for language

My Rating: 10/15 Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails