08 November, 2010

Book Review: StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce

Book: STARCROSSED
Author: ELIZABETH C. BUNCE
Genre: YA FANTASY

Published: October 2010, ARTHUR A. LEVINE BOOKS



I received this book for review, through STAR BOOK TOURS

From Good Reads:
Digger thrives as a spy and sneak-thief among the feuding religious factions of Gerse, dodging the Greenmen who have banned all magic. But when a routine job goes horribly wrong and her partner and lover Tegen is killed, she has to get out of the city, fast, and hides herself in a merry group of nobles to do so. Accepted as a lady's maid to shy young Merista Nemair, Digger finds new peace and friendship at the Nemair stronghold--as well as plenty of jewels for the taking. But after the devious Lord Daul catches her in the act of thievery, he blackmails her into becoming his personal spy in the castle, and Digger soon realizes that her noble hosts aren't as apolitical as she thought... that indeed, she may be at the heart of a magical rebellion.


My Review:
I know that I have never used this phrase in a book review before, but it is so apt for STARCROSSED: a web of intrigue. This book really got under my skin. It wasn't a paranormal romance, and it wasn't an urban fantasy. It's wasn't even a fantasy that I've come to read in YA. It was a book all on its own, and it was amazing.

There's no coddling in this novel for the main character, Digger. I was introduced into her world as she ran for her life from the people who had killed her friend, and sometimes lover. Digger is street-smart, sly, not easily duped, and a master thief. But, when she falls in with a group of upperclass youngsters, and finds herself mixing in among their families, all of her "worldliness" seems poor training for the wealthy intrigue, court secrets, and hidden dangers that await her new life.

The reader does get bombarded by the places, the spiritual aspects that play out into the political world that Digger lives in, and the people that have their part in a "revolt" that took place long ago. I can understand how it might be too much information, but I didn't have any problem settling into STARCROSSED. Digger, AKA Celyn is a terrific character that shows the world around her in vivid detail.

Elizabeth C. Bunce has crafted a novel that includes sweeping world-building, multi-faceted characters, and an ominous mystery. Digger must try to balance her own curiousity with the demands of a man who wishes to use her as a spy, without losing the moral code that she holds dear, even though she is a self-confessed thief. STARCROSSED delivers an awesome story that kept me riveted. This is a book that every YA fantasy lover should go read, now.


4/5 for plot
4.5/5 for characters
4/5 for language

My Rating: 12.5/15 Highly Recommend



Visit the links below to find out more on the author and books:
Elizabeth C. Bunce website

3 comments:

  1. That's one heck of a cover! I'm glad to hear you really enjoyed this one. Brilliant review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa!
    I agree, the cover only gives you a hint of what is to come, but I love the half-open door, with Digger peeking through. It's totally her.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored Elizabeth Bunce's first novel, A Curse Dark as Gold, so when I found out that she had another (thanks, angel), I knew I would read it. And I kind of had an inkling I would love it. Which, of course, I did.

    book creak

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails