30 December, 2010

Book Review: Mostly Good Girls by Leila Sales

Book: MOSTLY GOOD GIRLS
Author: LEILA SALES
Genre: CONTEMPORARY YA

Published: October 2010, SIMON PULSE


I borrowed this book for my personal reading enjoyment, without prior review agreement or any type of compensation.


From Good Reads:
It’s Violet’s junior year at the Westfield School. She thought she’d be focusing on getting straight As, editing the lit mag, and figuring out how to talk to boys without choking on her own saliva. Instead, she’s just trying to hold it together in the face of cutthroat academics, her crush’s new girlfriend, and the sense that things are going irreversibly wrong with her best friend, Katie.

When Katie starts making choices that Violet can’t even begin to fathom, Violet has no idea how to set things right between them. Westfield girls are trained for success—but how can Violet keep her junior year from being one huge, epic failure?


My Review:
MOSTLY GOOD GIRLS takes an irreverant look at one girl's journey through an all-girls private high school. Violet has a very distinct voice that shines throughout the whole book, and had me smiling, laughing out loud, and covering my face with amusement. Luckily, I read it mostly in the privacy of my own room. However, there would have probably been some heavy duty recommending going on, if I had been reading this in public.

Leila Sales provides a deep look into Violet's life, but she does it through short, choppy chapters that almost read like individual vingettes. Though, the book has over 300 pages, the style makes for quick reading, and the pacing and timing flows nicely to keep a reader engaged. While I did read this book for a read-a-thon, I can see how, even in the course of a normal reading session, one might move from chapter to chapter, and event to event, without quite realizing that so many pages are being consumed so quickly.

I very much enjoyed reading MOSTLY GOOD GIRLS because of the strong voice given to Violet. Even in the throes of a friendship crisis, she stays true to the character that Sales has constructed. Here is a book that I would read more than once, especially if I needed a good laugh.

I like to read issues books because they are important, and paranormal/ fantasy books because they transport me to another world, but the most critical aspect of a book to me is whether it keeps me engaged, as a reader. MOSTLY GOOD GIRLS did this. It kept me reading, and it was extremely entertaining.


4.5/5 for plot
4.5/5 for characters
4/5 for language

My Rating: 13/15 (4 stars)

Highly Recommeded, if you liked:

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Georgia Nicolson) by Louise Rennison



Links for the author:
Leila Sales website
Twitter
FaceBook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails